EQ Cleric Forums  

Go Back   EQ Cleric Forums > Chit Chat and Gossip > General
User Name
Password
Forums Donations Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-28-2002, 04:54 PM   #1
Carminae

Carminae
What best duo with a cleric on a fresh server ?

Going to have a few new server in Europe .
I was wondering what melee class is the best in duo with a cleric when you can t twink at all.
I thought about SK , Ranger , monk or beastlord .
But i want to have your feeling on that .
Carminae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 05:04 PM   #2
Saarem
Founder of BCC

Saarem is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Saarem
Mage (pet rocks)
Necro (insane damage)
Ranger (snare and fear)
SK (snare and fear)
Enchanter might be nice (great mainstay for groups. Add any tanks and you rock as you got two of three key components).
Pom Pom leader of the U.G.A.A.O.P. (Uber Guild Alliance Against Ordinary People)
Saarem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 05:18 PM   #3
Juukii

Juukii
If you have 2 accounts to play with, then it might be good to go with a shaman/ranger duo or shaman/monk duo. Shaman slows are insane. ranger/monk damage are insane

With the ranger, you can track, snare, root, buff and deal lots of damage. With the shaman, you can slow, DoT, haste, buff, etc. Pretty sure you can level really fast and efficiently with this combo.

However, if you are intent on playing with a cleric and another class, might I recommend cleric/bard? The bard has great utility and have decent combat skills. Bard can be used to go single pull stuff for train stuff away while the cleric gates.
Juukii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 07:44 PM   #4
Zardnok

Zardnok is on a distinguished road
If you are looking just for a melee type to dual box with or duo extensively, I would definitely go for the monk. Monks can tank better than warriors in many situations due to their superior avoidance and their damage output is second only to rogues. Monks also require less gear or less expensive gear to make them effective versus the other melee classes.

I have duoed with a mage extensively and their pets can tank most XP mobs with ease and need only the occasional heal from the cleric to keep them going strong.

I have never duoed with a necro, but it should be the same principle as the mage duo. Let the pet take the brunt of the damage and fear kite as needed.
Old 08-28-2002, 08:51 PM   #5
Sharn

Sharn
Send a message via Yahoo to Sharn
I would go either

Shaman + Ranger/Sk/Bard
or
Druid + Monk/Warrior/Ranger/Paladin/Bard/Sk

That way you always have snare.
Druid + monk is one of the best options
Ports, healing, Easy leveling, snare
Old 08-28-2002, 10:10 PM   #6
Clenzz

Clenzz
i'd go with Shaman/cleric

The shaman can slow and dot.

The cleric can nuke until he's raid guild ready, and then you can say "back in my days, clerics used to nuke, and we liked it"
Clenzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 05:25 AM   #7
Jubal

Jubal is on a distinguished road
Magician is the class that duos best with a cleric. Enchanter is second best, and Necromancer is a close third. All these combos will center around pet buffing and healing. Cleric + melee combos are nothing impressive - any melee is much better off with a shaman.
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 05:45 AM   #8
Tundar
Ragefire camper

Tundar is on a distinguished road
If you are looking for something to 2-box I can't give any advice, but I've duoes with great success with a mage. There is a reason I'm Tundar Pethealer

Mage pet (I prefer eartie) can take alot of damage along with keeping the mob in place. Add the mage's nukes and utility spells and you have a nice duo.

I've tried the SK duo as well, and it's certainly doable, but the damageout put isnt impressive.

Monk works great too.

If you arent that overly conserned about dps, I think any melee and a cleric can duo. Rogue also, just root the mob and get REAL close so the rogue can BS. This way you get your defensive skill maxed nicely
Tundar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 08:36 AM   #9
Togh

Togh
The best is magician for duo's.

The strategy is to simply buff up the mages fire pet and keep it alive.

The cleric does lots indirect damage by keeping the pet alive while the pet and mage do damage through melee and nukes. The Fire pet's DS is fantastic through level 49, it equals the level of the pet+(1 or 2) and it's much better than the mages damage shield and it's mana free. In the 50's, you'll have to the use mage's DS on a water, earth, air pet instead, until the mage completes his epic.

Note, the best duo may to a traditional melee character depending on the new upcoming changes, but for now I don't see how anyone else is better than a mage+fire pet. It's fantastic.
Togh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 08:55 AM   #10
Lolli
That one little guy!

Lolli is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The best is magician for duo's.

The strategy is to simply buff up the mages fire pet and keep it alive.

The cleric does lots indirect damage by keeping the pet alive while the pet and mage do damage through melee and nukes. The Fire pet's DS is fantastic through level 49, it equals the level of the pet+(1 or 2) and it's much better than the mages damage shield and it's mana free. In the 50's, you'll have to the use mage's DS on a water, earth, air pet instead, until the mage completes his epic.

Note, the best duo may to a traditional melee character depending on the new upcoming changes, but for now I don't see how anyone else is better than a mage+fire pet. It's fantastic.
I second, and my mage friend thirds, this opinion.

My mage friend has basically powerlevelled me from 45 to 49 in a bare four nights worth of playing time. In the same time she's gone from level 41 to 46.

The fire pet is awesome. I know the ones post-50 tend to drop off but I can't wait to see the level 49 one because the level 44 one just rules.

We can keep the two largest underbulk/fiend/stonegrabber camps clear in Echo Caverns. Strategy? Just buff her pet with pinzarn/reso/armor, celestial it when low on health and pull with stun while the mage tosses a nuke every once in a while.

And speaking of Echo Caverns, it comes very highly recommended from me for levels 44-49. You could probably do it without Celestial Healing but I don't know what the mana expenditure would be like.

Awesome, awesome exp. About 1 yellow per 75 minutes. A non-twink mage (she fits that description) should be able to do better than that, but would have to find exactly the right camp and work really hard to better it. Besides, grouping is always more fun than soloing especially if you're duoing with a RL friend and it's very steady experience.

I'm soooo grateful not to have had to endure the slow trudge through the 40s that would have happened if I would have stayed in Dreadlands. Take my advice and get outta there (unless you can get yourself a mage duo partner in DL, that is).

Last edited by Lolli : 08-29-2002 at 08:57 AM.
Lolli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 10:08 AM   #11
NoonieVioletski

NoonieVioletski
56+ its even better with a mag.

ch + mod rod 2 = fm no time, chain pulling with just 2 people.

cleric is my fav partner by far.
Old 08-30-2002, 05:18 AM   #12
Helf PetCommand

Helf PetCommand
Yep, Tundar have been healing my pet since level 8 or so...

And as a duo partner i prefer a cleric. Its simply the fastest and most efficient xp combo.

Along with Tundar and my epic pet, we can keep about 14-16 Shroom in FG in a constant rotation.

Show me a combo that can do the same please. That means constant pulls and no downtime.

Master Helf PetCommander of Bristlebane
Helf PetCommand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 07:08 AM   #13
Elasto
Quite likes EQ

Elasto is on a distinguished road
I think my favourite partner would be a mage. We interlink just so well. The massive DS we can create between us, especially with epic pet just destroys mobs; in this case no slow is a benefit heh.

Other reason is both of us permanently fom from mod rods..
Elasto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 08:53 AM   #14
Lyph
Techno-Priest

Lyph
>If you are looking just for a melee type to dual box with or duo
>extensively, I would definitely go for the monk. Monks can tank
>better than warriors in many situations due to their superior
>avoidance and their damage output is second only to rogues.
>Monks also require less gear or less expensive gear to make
>them effective versus the other melee classes.

Actualy I would fear the nerf monster for monks... dunno why but I start feeling some bad winds coming...

SK / Cleric is a cool combo, I love it, more suited if you made a evil cleric, cleric is the raid char by excellence, and SK are awesome in xp groups and have lots of nice tool in many situations, that give you a large possibility to try different experiences, from CH chain in support team to puller with FD, definitively my prefered one

Ranger / Cleric is good too, since ranger can invis/sow/track, etc.. better than previous options for xp grinding due to higher dmg output with ranger, again that give you a nice toolbox to use with your cleric.

Both combo offer snare, that is very practical if you want to do some dungeons.

Mage / Cleric works too, a bit under on tanking side (non epic pet has his limits, and poa raids are pretty rare nowaday), but very good dmg dealing and it's good to have all those focus items alway handy improving, if your cleric have good mana regen.
Lyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 11:32 AM   #15
Lyph
Techno-Priest

Lyph
.."handy improving, if your cleric "...

...handy improving both chars efficiency, if your cleric...
Lyph is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: