EQ Cleric Forums  

Go Back   EQ Cleric Forums > Detailed EQ Specifics (Get Your EQ Fix Here) > Items/Gear/Augs/Emblems
User Name
Password
Forums Donations Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2008, 03:22 PM   #1
Sirulus

Leveling a Cleric for duoing

Hi folks, new cleric, long time EQ player of another class or 5 (magelos in my sig). I have a baby gnome cleric that I've just leveled up recently with the help of my missus and who is now 57. What I am seeking are places that my cleric can duo with my rogue that isn't too heal intensive for first and foremost. Currently I am in DSH tanking with my rogue up to 3 mobs at once which is pretty easy to do if I stick to the animals and remember to use Lithe on the rogue. I would however prefer a zone that has similar xp (gets about 1.5% reg xp per kill currently) per kill or in quantity of kills. I do occassionaly swap the rogue for the monk as my 71 monk can tank better than my rogue does (not surprisingly though) and could use the XP himself.

Secondly I am looking for some gear suggestions (up to level 65 or so, but no higher than 70) that I can solo for (using my mage) or duo (with my rogue and cleric). I prefer not to buy stuff in the bazaar although I have plenty of plat to do so as I like to experience some 'alone' time with my characters and ensure I know what I am doing and raise their skills 'naturally'. Eventually my goal is to have two clerics total, one on each account and 2 shaman split as well (I realized after I'd started that although I have the 100% rez every 7 days on my mage I'd still need rezzes in between lol). The enchanter would not factor into any of this just yet if ever since I need to move him from Tunare to Luclin and do not wish to spend the money nor do I have the extra money to do so.

Anyway, thanks in advance for the help and if you need me to answer any questions in order to better answer my request, please don't hesitate to post back.

-?ir
Old 01-25-2008, 09:51 AM   #2
Lashden

Well, as far as just leveling, your most effective options are going to be zones that have mobs that are darkblue to yellow to the cleric; yellow being optimal. You only gain more xp for a higher level mob to a certain extent, so generally a mob that is 15 levels above your cleric will give the same xp as one that is 5 levels above it (not couting zone extra xp, etc). Obviously one that is only 5 levels above your cleric would be easier and faster to kill then 15 levels above it. This of course yields little or no xp to you while the cleric is under 60-65, but it is faster.

AA xp is actually the opposite, the amount of xp is based off the con level of the highest person in the group. So when you decide to switch to aa's you will want to xp where it's optimal for your main/higher level to get the best aa xp.

As far as gear...if you can get up to level 66, a few things in TSS become available. The Runed Diamond (MP 6 aug), the wrist quest from Valdeholm, orb of mystic fury (50/50/50 aug, you can solo it in 15 minutes...literally) to name a few. There are also the rings/augs from the varius Arcstone/Relic and Elddar Forest quests as well that are still decent.

Another major option for gear is the TBS player made energaiec (sp?) gear. It's pretty nice, includes a good set of foci for the level and it's relatively easy to make, the rare piece is the sunshard ore if I recall correctly.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:20 AM   #3
Calissandrya

You could also get the cultural armor and augs, it would probably be a good way to get your bp and legs considering they are the hardest things to upgrade.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:12 AM   #4
Sirulus

Okay my cleric is now 67 with 3 AAs (forgot to update my magelo this morning) and starts my dillemma. Originally this cleric was only supposed to see 56 and some AAs. Then someone told me about the lvl 65 Rez AA and since I didn't want to do the epic just yet I thought it'd be a good idea. Along the way I remembered about the cultural and thought it would be really cool to get the cleric a set of that. And some better gear for the other slots. And some augs. And some... Anyway the problem I have is I think I may have gone too fast. As it stands I cannot decide on what to do first, stop leveling now and get 100+ AAs or get to 70, get the elaborate cutural with exhalted augs then grind AAs. I have a monk that started this way but for me when playing melee it is a whole different mindset. For some classes it is easy to do your job with little to no AAs but with other classes the AAs make what you do so much better.

That said, should I AA now or at 70, split AA with xp (what is a recommended % split) and what is a good spot for AA xp? Some of the places I go to give about 3% AA per kill but it's a bit tough on my rogue tanking (still gimp!). Thanks for your help folks!

-?ir
Old 02-06-2008, 12:10 AM   #5
Discombobulation

Look up these quests:

1. Slipgear's Gem
2. Serpentseeker Charm of Lore
Old 02-06-2008, 11:40 AM   #6
sandtree

If you are grouping the cleric will earn AAXP at the same rate as the highest level person in the group and normal XP is based on how the mob cons to the cleric.

i.e. If the group consists of 5 lvl 80 toons and 1 67 cleric and the mobs return 4% AAXP to the level 80 characters, the cleric will get 4% also.

However the cleric will regular xp at a better rate than the lvl 80 toon because the mob cons red to the cleric.

So.... XP then AA's at least to level 71 when you can snag some TSS group gear which is very nice (or grind solteris and get lvl 75 group gear) Also, the new JC stuff is pretty nice for the ears, fingers, neck and wrist slots. See my alt shammy below.

My alt shammy with new JC in all slots http://eq.magelo.com/profile/1368880
Old 02-06-2008, 12:22 PM   #7
Lashden

sandtree is right on about how the aa xp works when grouping; I will say, however, that aa's seemed to matter quite a bit for a cleric in the higher levels, as it does for just about any caster.

When I was leveling mine I had to stop at about 72 or so and do aas until he had about 150 total before I felt comfortable playing him as a main healer, but I do play my cleric as a second main at times.

My advice as when the best time is the same as it would be for a necro: get to a level that it's easy to obtain aa's and stay there. If you are comfortable at 67, and aa's come at a decent pace then there's no reason to level unless you want level restricted gear, spells, or aa's. When I was working on my clerics aa's the first time to get him to 150 I normally had his xp set at 20% regular 80% aa, but if you are going to grind them out quickly then 100% aa would be the obvious choice. I would still do 95/5 aa/reg to make up for the occasional death though, I do this on both my characters now even at level 80.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:52 PM   #8
Jeezu

without a doubt the choice for me would be get to lvl 71 and start using the VoV/ward line of spells and tanking with your cleric. the mobs you pick depend on....

A) gear and hits you can take. (when i was soloing best spot at lvl 75 was black legion orcs in direwind since there was no adds, and i got roughly 6% aa per kill.) since i doubt you would have the gear to start taking 1k+ hits especially without the defensives, id suggest something in DoD

b) runner or non runner, if its a runner bring your rogue and use snare daggers or poisons, non runner can use any dps.

C) Con level, obviously yellow/red cons are harder, but if your cleric can handle it, i might think of ward/vov and ae/stuning a bunch of lt blue mobs (talking like 15 to 20) and using ds's plus your melee to just pure slaughter mobs.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:51 AM   #9
Lashden

LoL

I doubt that would work very well, certainly not faster then simply duoing. It's not a bad idea, but realistically it's not feasible with out any defensive/avoidance aa's at all, not to mention it's very gear dependant.

As an example, I have a necro that is raid geared from demi to TSS with over 1500 aas. My cleric is group geared and has about 480 aas. Eventhough my necro is a silk wearer, he can generally out tank my cleric.

I would suggest trying it though from time to time as soloing on a cleric is fun, and as you get more aas and gear it will become more feasible to do as a method of xp.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: